Importance of BIS Certification
BIS certification is a means of providing a third party guarantee to the customer of the quality, safety and reliability of products. To protect the economic interests of citizens, the Indian government has set different standards for almost every product.
“Smart registration is a definite step towards our serious vision to be digital and advanced. Which emerged as a backbone for society at large.
Why is the BIS important for your business?
All foreign manufacturers of regulated electrical and electronic products expected to export to India are required to obtain a BIS Product Certification License. As we have already stated that without registration, manufacturers cannot legally supply to the Indian market, with fraud and unauthorized use considered a violation of the law punishable under the BIS Act.
Here, we are talking about why the Government of India encourages to get BIS certification.
1. Its assures the quality of the products
2. Its provides a safeguard to the Public Health
3. Its protects consumers from risky products
4. Its build consumers’ confidence
with over the 26500 licenses covering more than 900 products, BIS Registration Product Scheme is one of the biggest schemes in this universe.
In this article, we look to have the procedure for obtaining BIS Registration in India. Additionally, we also want to inform you the Government of India provides BIS Certification for products under different types of schemes as follows.
1. Normal Procedure for Domestic Manufacturers: The applicant has to submit a BIS registration application along with some documents and the required fee. After the application is submitted, the evaluation is done by the BIS officer and an independent test report is prepared. If all things go well then BIS registration is provided where the sampling process is acceptable. BIS registration is given within 4 months of submission of application.
2. Simplified Procedure for Domestic Manufacturers: In the simple process, the applicant along with the application for BIS registration submits a test report of the sample from the approved lab to the BIS officer. The BIS officer will verify the registration and grant certificate of the factory within 30 days of submission.
3. Tatkal Scheme: Manufacturers who are required to have mandatory BIS standard mark as per government notification can get BIS license under the tatkal scheme. In this, the application is processed within strict timelines and the total time for processing is specified as 30 days.
4. ECO Mark Scheme: Under the ECO Mark Scheme, licenses are given to environmentally friendly products, where all environmental products are classified as per the basic requirements under Indian standards.
5. Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme: For foreign applicants or manufacturers, the ISI mark has been specifically designed and provided under a separate scheme over 6 months. So that standard mark can be used on products. The BIS license covered under this process can be obtained in 6 months.
Documents that you need for BIS Certification in India
Application form as per the ordered format is given in Annexure I.
Self-Evaluation Report as per the format described in Annexure-II.
Original test reports from the recognized laboratory, not older than 30 days.
A scanned copy of the acknowledgement received from the portal screenshot of the online file submission.
Address proof that could be any documents issued by the government.
Demand draft with the guided fees along with the Xerox of DD and NEFT details.
The undertaking document.
Affidavit as per Format C.